Not starving...ravenous, and spreading the vegan love!

The weekend has ARRIVED! YAY!

Well today started off by me realizing we had NO apples left in the house. Not even a nasty old one shoved into the back of the fridge so, I decided to take a pre-breakfast walk over to Safeway and pick some up. I have a confession to make, I am an apple freak. I usually eat about 2 a day and am very picky about my apples. When I go grocery shopping with my mom, the time it takes me to pick out my perfectly crunchy, yet still juicy apples, she can get all the rest of the produce! Haha. But boy way I glad I took that walk because they had the most glorious gala apples there, and they were on sale!
After I finally got back from my grocery store jaunt, I was pretty ravenous*. So I had my usual breakfast of an apple with 1 T. raw almond butter, and a soy latter with 1/2c. vitasoy original light. I am SO happy I took the initiative to go to the store this morning because these apples were delicious. Crunchy and firm, yet still juicy and full of flavour :)


*Ok so I have kind of a weird thing about using the word "starving". I don't use it... ever. I feel that the only appropriate use of the word starving is when referring to 1)The starving children in third world countries or
2)The women and men who are suffering from eating disorders.

When I am very hungry, I use the word
ravenous. I know it's kind of a funny word but using the word "starving" reminds me of a very bad time in my life where I was restricting and purposefully well...starving myself. Now, when I get very hungry (ravenous) it is not because I am intentionally keeping my self from eating, I am just ready to re-fuel my body eat another meal! I hope that makes sense.

No run today, my back it feeling very sore and I don't want to push anything too hard. I'm thinking it is because I've run for the past 3 days in a row for longer than I ever have! Hopefully taking today off will do some good.

Lunch was another yummy salad. I used a small head of romaine, about 1/3 c. vegetarian re-fried beans, 1/4 c. salsa and 2 oz. of Soya Novu Smoked Tofu.


Guys, this stuff is AMAZING. It is a very firm tofu (which I really like, no mushy tofu for me please) and tastes like gouda cheese! Now that I don't eat cheese anymore this stuff is prefect for putting on sandwiches, in wraps, salads, stir Fry's...almost anywhere. I don't know how far they ship their products but if you live in western Canada I'm sure you can find it in health food stores. The company, Soya Novu Tofu Shop, doesn't even have a website but I did find an email soyanovu@shaw.ca, maybe you can get them to ship you some!

So today was the day I made my vegan feast for my boss. I made the Mediterranean Olive bread from The Joy of Vegan Baking. It is such a good bread and I added both green and black kalamata olives, walnuts and sundried tomatoes. I would really suggest the book. I love Colleen at Compassionate Cooks. She is like one of the people I would most like to meet . Her podcasts helped me out so much at the beginning of my veganism (over a year ago!) and her positivity and compassion for animals and spreading her message is truly inspiring.


For the main course I made a chickpea-spinach-tomato sauce on top of whole wheat spaghetti. Here how I made it:
  1. Put about 2 T. Extra Virgin olive oil in the pan
  2. Sauteed 1 onion and 3 garlic cloves (chopped)
  3. Added 1 large can of tomatoes (crushed up), 1 can chickpeas, 1 c. of each raw and fresh spinach
  4. Added about 1 tsp of each basil and red pepper flakes
  5. Sprinkled on some garlic powder
  6. Cracked black pepper to taste
I let it simmer in a fry pan for about 20 min and here is what the finished product looks like:

Dessert was one of the "Brown" velvet cupcakes I made yesterday from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World.

He took it home and told me he'd write up little review of it! Haha. I had a little of each (even a cup cake!) minus the pasta and it was a very good if I do say so myself!

I just wanted to thank everyone for the warm welcome to the blogging community. I love you all and can't wait to get to know you all :)