Vega and a review!

Review

I got my first package in the mail today! It was filled with a beautiful assortment of Vega products for me to test and review. I’m so excited, thank you so much Kelly!

Vega is an awesome Canadian company founded by Brendan Brazier, a professional Ironman triathlete and two time Canadian 50km Ultra Marathon Champion, who’s passionate about spreading the word on the benefits of a plant based diet. Here is a quote from Brendan on the Vega website:

"I formulated Vega using the highest quality, least processed, plant-based superfoods available. Armed with Vega, you will no longer need to compromise between whole food goodness and fast food convenience. To me, Vega is a way of life. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do."

Very cool in my opinion.

Brendan is also the author of ‘The Thrive Diet’, has anyone read it? What did you think?


What I like about Vega products:

They are all 100% plant based
Free of corn, dairy, soy and wheat
High raw, alkaline and organic
Contain no artificial colors, flavors or sweeteners (sweetened with stevia leaf!)
Contain organic hemp, yellow pea and brown rice proteins and whole flax seeds
Contains omega 3 fatty acids

The stats:

Whole Foods Health Optimizer (One pouch)
  • Calories - 100 to 110
  • Fat - 2.5 g to 3 g
  • Omega 3 - 1 g
  • Carbohydrates - 9 g to 10 g
  • Fiber - 6 g to 7 g
  • Protein - 11 g to 13 g
  • Comes in Berry, Chocolate, Natural and Chai Vanilla flavors.

Whole Foods Energy Bars
  • Calories - 240
  • Fat - 10 g
  • Omega 3 - 1.5 g
  • Carbohydrates - 30 g to 31 g
  • Protein - 10 g
  • Comes in Berry, Chocolate and Natural flavors.

I am super duper excited to test out all of the awesome flavors (especially the Chai Vanilla!). The shakes will be great for post run fuel. The bars are quite high in calories for just a snack so I’m thinking of either splitting them in half or using it as more of a meal replacement for days when I’m on the run.
I’ll be testing each flavor out through out the coming weeks and will definitely let you all know what I think of the different types.

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A while back I told you I was making dinner for my boss at work. We he finally e-mailed me his review! Haha. My first official critique! I didn’t expect him to actually write it up but here’s what he wrote (I changed the names just to be respectful to him and his fam):

Sarah,


I re-heated the meal you made on Saturday night for me, L , C and G(the baby).

Delicious.

The cupcakes were so moist and chocolatey – truly they tasted the way a chocolate cupcake should taste. Better than Cupcakes even.

The icing was also enjoyable – I could tell it was better for me than the plastic sugar synthetic icing at Cupcakes – although I could tell the ingredients were healthier. Which is fine. Because they were it was a necessary trade-off. But it lost some of the crazy bad for me sugary goodness – but again – I’m fine with that.

Okay, the walnut-olive bread. During dinner preparation G(the baby) was playing in the sink and she got into the Palmolive dish soap a bit and it irritated her eyes – but we thought she may have drank some so it kind of upset me. But she didn’t. Anyways, I had to sit down and Lara finished preparing the meal. The bread didn’t get toasted which I think would have been nice – but I enjoyed it with the vegan butter – which when I tasted it on it’s own – reminded me of the icing – so I’m thinking there was some in the icing, right? Yeah – so the bread was moist and flavourful and I liked how the olives and walnuts tasted together. There was also a nice spice that lingered in my mouth after it was over.

And the pasta with chickpeas. Clean and healthy and fresh tasting – I could’ve eaten it for hours. I added some tomato-basil marinated chicken to L and D’s and ended up trying some, too. It was fun.


We took pictures, too. I hope to send them to you, soon.

- D


So I think it was a success! I tried to get him to eat a completely vegan meal but I guess he forgot and added chicken. I am working on him to make him a healthier person. All he eats all day is about 9 bags of chips. I've got him writing in a food journal and everything now!

Anyways, have a great weekend my lovelies :)

Cheers,

Sarah