Cabbage, Cereal and Books

Recipes

I don't really know if you could consider this a recipe but if I were ever to make a cook book, this salad would DEFINITELY be in it. It may look extremely gross to a lot of you but hey.... don't knock it before you try it!

Smokey Mustard Coleslaw

The only ingredients are:
  • Coleslaw-like shredded cabbage (found in the bagged salad area)
  • Artificial Bacon bits
  • Yellow Mustard
Mix it all together and dig in. It has a nice smokey/tangy taste from the bacon bits and mustard and a good satisfying chew from the cabbage. Like a lot of things I eat it is low in calories, high in fiber and keeps you satisfied for quite a while. I ate this for lunch today with a HUGE bowl of grapes and a small handful of carob chips for dessert :) Freaking yum.

Reviews

New Fiber One Caramel Delight cereal

The stats (for 1 cup - 50 g):
  • Calories - 180
  • Fat - 3 g
  • Polyunsaturated fat - 0.5 g
  • Monounsaturated fat - 1.5 g
  • Carbohydrate - 41 g
  • Fiber - 9 g
  • Sugar - 10 g
  • Protein - 3 g
Health factor - 7/10
Surprisingly there are very few "scary" ingredients in this cereal. It's Fiber One so you expect it to be some what healthy for you. I was pleasantly surprised when I read the ingredients to see it was vegan! Contains whole grain wheat, corn bran and rice bran. Sugar IS he second ingredient but I was surprised to see only 10 g of sugar in a serving. It is very sweet so I was expecting more.
The taste is very similar to cereals like Golden Grahams or Cinnamon Toast Crunch (cereals I was NEVER allowed to have as a child!) however, Fiber One has about 5 g less sugar. 9 g of fiber is also pretty impressive (if the name is Fiber One, it better have at least a little fiber!)

Yum factor - 9/10
SOOOOOO yummy! When in Costco, my mom and I could actually smell the cereal when we walked past! It is more of a dessert cereal rather than a breakfast cereal. The caramel tastes is quite apparent and has an almost cinnamon-ey flavour to it. I have had about half a serving of this for dessert the past 2 nights and my sweet tooth was satisfied.

Overall - 16/20
I really enjoyed this cereal. It is quite sweet so I wouldn't suggest eating a huge bowl of it for breakfast. Eating it either dry or maybe sprinkled on top of some non-dairy yogurt or ice cream would make it a great snack or dessert.

Running

OUCH! I am so sore today. I had planned to do a little 2 or 3 mile run today but when I got out there all I managed to do was get my butt around the block! My calves and quads are super sore from my long run yesterday. I'm thinking of taking today off, just walking the pooch, and maybe even tomorrow.
I did manage to do some ab work and some sun salutations this morning which felt very nice. Helped my sore muscles stretch out a little bit.

I wanted to share with you guys this awesome site my mom just discovered and shared with me. It's called MapMyRun and you can use a satellite picture (like google map) to map out your run. It tells you how long your run is, how many calories you burn e.t.c. I find it very helpful because trying to decipher how many miles/km you run each new route can be kind of difficult. Plus I don't really trust pedometers to give accurate mileage. Anyways, I highly suggest you check out the site if you're a runner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I need some help for you guys. I'm planning on making a book order from Amazon and am looking for some ideas/reviews/comments/suggestions. Here is my tentative list:
  • Veganomicon - Isa Chandra Moskowik
  • Ani's Raw Food Kitchen - Ani Phyo
  • Vegan Bites : Recipes for Singles - Beverly Lynn Bennett
  • Vegan A Go Go : Sarah Kramer
  • The Athletes Guide to Yoga - Sage Pountree

If you have any of these and love or hate them let me know. Also if you have a book that you think is AWESOME and think I should get let me know as well!



I hope you're all having a wonderful first day of spring. It is actually nice outside for once up here! Sadly, tomorrow there is going to be rain and then snow. No real spring for us until about May :(

Cheers,

Sarah