Day 9: Yogurt, knee pain, and a decision finally made!


Before I stopped eating dairy (for the most part) I was a yogurt eating machine. I love the creamy texture and fruity flavor and once I went veg, it was the only thing I truly missed. I tried types of soy yogurt but most had a funny taste and were about $5 a container. Plus I would have to drive in to the city to go to a health foods store just to find it. I thought my yogurt eating days were over until I stumbled across this recipe on Have Cake, Will Travel.

I wasn't really feeling the soy milk just because I use about 1.5 to 2 cups of it a day in various meals. Then, I had a brilliant idea!

Light Coconut Milk Quick Yogurt:
  • 1 can (approx. 2 cups) Light Coconut Milk
  • 2 T. Lemon Juice
  • 2 T. Cornstarch
  • 2 T. Maple Syrup
  • 1 t. Vanilla
I mixed the coconut milk and lemon juice together first. It is supposed to coagulate the soy milk. Since coconut milk is already quite thick, it didn't do much but I still added it for good measure.
Then I whisked in the remaining ingredients until there were no more little clumps of cornstarch remaining.

Following Celine's repice I zapped it for 1 min, whisked it. Zapped it again for 1 min, whisked it again. Zapped it for another min, whisked again. It gets nice and thick after the third zapping.
After that I just transfered it to a container and popped it in the fridge.

I waited over night for it to chill because I have a weird thing about luke warm food.

It is AMAZING! Using the light coconut milk is great because for about 1/2 c. serving of yogurt it's only about 60 calories and has that yummy, creamy coco-nutty taste.


For a snack today I had strawberries topped with 1/2 c. yogurt and a sprinkle of granola. Simple, yet divine!

In other news, I have a problem and I'm not sure what to do. I'm running my very first 10K on Saturday (GAHHHHH THIS SATURDAY!) and today I went out for a run and my knee is killing me! I'm so worried now because I was only able to run about 2 minuites before I had to stop. It's at the base of my knee cap on the inside. I've never had an issue with my knees before and of course, 4 days before a race, it starts to act up. I think I'm going to rest it today, tomorrow and see how it feels on Thursday. I was so excited about this race too. Grrrr....

I also have some very EXCITING news. I've finally chosen a university to attend next year....

I'm so so so soooooooo excited. It's a very small university but is very highly ranked in Canada and sounds....perfect for me! I'll be majoring in Human Nutrition. I just want September to come already! Haha, that will probably be the last time that ever comes out of my mouth!

Anyways, Have a great Tuesday!

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”


-Maria Robinson