A Vegan in a Steak Eaters Province

Hello lovelies!

Hope you Tuesday is going well. I'm in a pretty good mood today because 1) I'm on "spring break" from work and don't have to go back until March 30! WOOT! And 2) I went to the organic grocery store today!

Now, where I live people are not the most health conscious of folks. Alberta is kind of like the Texas of Canada. There are cattle farms all over the place, steakhouses on every corner and only about 3 health foods stores in the nearest city. Thus being a vegan can be quite a challenge. About 25% of the population in my town and the closest city (Calgary, Alberta) have bumper sticker that read:


I mean, how gross can you get? In elementary school they were given out all the time to us students, industry brain washing works bet when you start young I guess! When I was younger (pre-veg) I would pretend it said I heart Alberta Cows because I've always been an animal lover and thought cows were so cute! I just find these sticker so disrespectful.

Anyways, living in an area like this makes finding healthy and vegan products quite difficult to do. I do my best, but I can get very frustrated when I see all these amazing products on other peoples blogs and they either aren't sold in Canada, don't ship to Canada or aren't sold in my area's stores. Grrrrr....

However, there are time when I get to go into the city and stop at the Organic Planet and soak in all the healthy goodness it has to offer! Here are my finds:


  • Ezekiel wraps
  • Almond butter
  • Carob chips (VEGGIEGIRL HELP! What am I supposed to do with these?)
  • Peanut Butter Cookie Larabar
  • Coconut Cream Pie Larabar
  • Chocolate Coconut Larabar
  • Think Green Bar (from the makers of the Think Organics and Think Protein bars)
  • Coconut water
The only bad part is it was SOOOOOO expensive. I wanted to get so many more things but all their prices are jacked up like crazy. Veganism is not expensive (fruits and veggies) but when you want to get some fun treats it can really add up.

My question to all you bloggers is how do you afford all those fun food finds? Is it less expensive in the U.S.?

Cheers,
Sarah