Day 1 : I used to be that way...

Day 1 is always a special feeling. You have so much hope and determination to make this time "the time" and yet, if you're like me a few days don't the line your motivation is weakening and your so ravenous you could eat your left arm. This Day 1 for me is different. No more restrictive diets, no more deprivation, no more starvation leading to binges. Wanna know why?

I used to be that way, but now I'm different!

Who cares how many time I've tried to recover! Who care how many failed diets I've been on! Today I promise myself that I can change and that I can rebuild my thinking towards food. From now on, I hand life differently.

Here are the activities for today:

Make a list of any fears or negative behaviors that have hurt your success in the past. Read each one out loud, then say "I used to be that way but now I'm different!". Then write new endings for them. Here are mine:

1. I used to restrict my diet which would only end in a binge, but now I eat the amount of calories my body needs to thrive and am not deprived at all.

2. I used to use food as an emotional crutch, but now I use my journal and blog to vent or share what I'm feeling.

3. I used to shovel food in my mouth so fast I doubt I even tasted it, but now I savor my meals, sitting down to eat and taking time to enjoy all the textures and flavors.

4. I used to exercise in order to burn calories, but now I exercise to feel good about myself, ease anxiety, improve my health and be a happier person and BECAUSE I ENJOY IT.

5. I used to deprive my self of good tasting food because of calories, but now I am able to enjoy smaller portions of the foods I really love and not gain weight.

6. I used to live to eat, but now I eat to live!

It feels so good to get this out of paper...or...on screen! No deprivation, no crazy meal plans or exercise boot camps. Just living in a healthful and happy way. In the past I've always focused on how little can I eat and how much can I exercise which in the end has only caused me to be unhappy and gain weight. I know this is going to be a long and hard road to "normalcy" but I'm totally up for the challenge!

Who care what you've done or haven't been able to do in the past. I love this quote:
"One day at a time - this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past, for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering."
-Ida Scott Taylor

What do you pledge to yourself today?